9.11.17

The tree that is me..


What am I?
A wife, a mother, daughter, sister, aunt and friend...
A worker, a dreamer, listener with shoulder wet from tears.
I am like a tree extending the branches of my being out toward others..
And upwards toward Him!

I am a babe needing the nourishment of attentive and protective care.
 Straining to grow stronger and confident in my person-hood.
A gangly girl sitting high in the branches of the tree that is me...
Looking down...waiting.

For what do I wait?
To be rescued and carried back down to the ground?
For others to join me, perched atop the world?

Here I sit observing life.
Giggling joy one day..
Weeping unconsoled the next.
What a strange paradox!
Some would say I am simply unstable.
Too hormonal..too moody...too emotional.
Perhaps these judgements are valid. 
I cannot blame others for thinking I "swing" too much!
But there's more to me than meets the eye...

For it seems to me that I am sitting between Heaven and Earth
With eyes wide open..staring into the day-span of the world.
With Him.
Together on the tree.
Sharing the sacred space...dwelling in the holy here.

When will I come down..will I come down at all?
I don't know.
It's really up to Him.
I'm too small to get down all by myself.
And don't ask me how I got up this far on my own, because I don't know that either!
Except to say that as I began to climb He must have grabbed my hand.

I didn't see him do it..I just felt a pull and suddenly I was up here.
Higher than I meant to go.
Sometimes I get so dizzy!
Never did have a good head for heights.
Some days I have to shut my eyes hard until the spinning stops..
 And on opening them I see
Him smiling at me, saying "You're alright."
"I am still with you..I won't let you fall."

What am I?
Just a mere child clinging tightly to the Branch!
Nothing more....

No comments:

Post a Comment